Saturday, March 24, 2007

JUST FOR YOUR INFORMATION


Hi everyone! Today's phrase of the day was- Just for your information! Our tour guide, Phillip, said this phrase over and over. (A picture with Phillip and Jack. He loved touching Jack's hair.) We had another great day! So, now for a little history lesson on Hong Kong! Hong Kong is like 3 American cities combined- San Francisco because there are a lot of Chinese there- New York because of the tall buildings and busy atmosphere- and Florida because of the climate. However, it is 20 times more densely populated than the USA. They also have typhoons but March is not the season, thank goodness! They have 95 inches a rain in typhoon season May-Nov. Phillip is Chinese but that is obviously not his Chinese name. The teachers in school gives the kids English names in ABC order. Phillip was the letter P. Most of the parents can't speak English but kids start in Kindergarten. (A picture of a school.) Phillip taught us a few Cantonese words today. There are many Chinese dialects and many Chinese cannot communicate with each other but interestingly they all read the same newspaper they just cannot talk about it with each other. Here is how you pronounce a few words- Jo San/Good Morning Door Chair/Thank You and Ho Ho Ho/Excellent You know Santa comes from China, all of your Christmas presents say something on them- Made in China! :)

Our first stop today was Victoria Peak. It is the highest point in Hong Kong. Sadly, it was very foggy so we couldn't really see the beautiful view. So, we bought a postcard. We did take a group photo on the walking path. We went past a huge house on the way up to the peak. The house was red, good luck, and the roof was green, wealthy and healthy. It was purchased for 5 million in 1972 and the owner was offered 50 million today(pictured below). He didn't sell because a developer wanted to put a high rise in its place. Phillip had us take pictures because in about three years it will most likely not be there anymore. The Chinese have mastered the art of transportation with taxis, buses, trains, subways, boats and ferries. Only 1 in 6 families has a car. It costs about $600 a month to keep a car. Gas is $6.00 a gallon.

The highlight of our day was the Aberdeen Fishing Village. Most of the people live on their boats and never step foot on land. They have 2 boats- one to live on and one to fish. We took a Sampan Boat Ride. It was amazing! You will notice spotlights on one of the boats, these are squid fishing lights. Jack, of course, slept through the entire Sampan Ride!!!!





We then went to the Aberdeen Jewelry Company. They specialize in Jade but had all kinds of gems. The imperial Jade is a Chinese Stone that keeps evil things away and calms your emotions. We took a tour of them making the jewelry. The salesperson, like an Alan Rodriques, wanted his picture taken with the tall lady. Does he know it was taken with my camera????


We then went to The Stanley Market, an outdoor flea market. We had to resist buying things because the prices will be much cheaper in Nanchang and Guanzhou. Jewelry is the 4th biggest industry in Hong Kong. Financial Banking is #1, then shipping and #3 is tourism especially since Disneyland.

We concluded with a Dim Sun lunch. The guides ordered for us. Lucy, we were told never to order hotdogs in China. What would you eat? You might get the real thing!!!!! AND if you see anything funny remember everything just tastes like chicken!

I took a picture for you, Erin D., of the clothes hanging out of the windows. Your basement DID look like China when your dryer was broken. The average apartment is only 250 square feet. They are stacked one on top of another.




Next post will be in Nanchang with ANNIE!! Don't expect a history or geography lesson. It will probably be pictures and a few words. STAY TUNED. . . . Love, Kari

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Hi Kari -

What an awesome post! It is so great to hear about all of your experiences. You guys are great travelers. I still think that you should enter in the Amazing Race someday. If Erich doesn't want to do it, David would in a heartbeat!

That is too funny about the hotdogs! Yes, Lucy would be in a bind for sure!

So Phillip had a catchphrase, huh?! I had a tourguide once who kept on saying "an actual fact" over and over and over again. After a while it was like nails on a chalkboard!

Can't wait for the next post! I don't know how I am going to make it through church tomorrow!

Love you guys!
Melissa & Lucy

Ted and Nancy said...

Hi,
We LOVED seeing all of your Hong Kong tour pictures. We compared them with ours and they are almost the same. Lili didn't understand why she wasn't in ours, but Jack is in yours!

The group picture with Jack on Grandpa Bob's shoulders made me a bit nervous. It looks like it is right on a ledge and if he'd throw his head back (not that Jack would ever do that), he'd go right over the edge. Tell Grandpa to be careful.

I wonder if you are sleeping now or if Jack if partying or if the anticipation of what comes next is keeping you awake.

Your next post needs no words, just a LOT of pictures!

We are thinking about you all of the time,
Nancy and Lili

Melissa said...

It is Sunday morning there and I am just so happy for you all that today is THE DAY! How appropriate that you are getting your daughter on Sunday. You know how much I wear my emotions on my sleeve but I am just overwhelmed by so many emotions right now. I am all teary-eyed thinking of your hearts doubling in size the moment you lay your eyes on Annie. And I feel an anxious excitement that makes me believe I will not be able to sleep tonight. I am so proud to have you both as friends. God has chosen you to be parents to two beautiful children. He definitely knows what He is doing because you two are awesome parents!

I am rambling on here endlessly but I just wanted to say for the millionth time that I am thinking of you guys and praying for you.

Like Nancy said, no words needed on Sunday. Just photos. They will say everything.

Love,
Melissa

The Browning Family said...

I'll be up in the middle of the night!!! I know you are on the longest plane ride of your life right now. Labor pains are hard huh!! hihihihi :)
hurry hurry hurry and post.
kindra

Cindy said...

It is 10:00 on Sunday morning, so I know you have Annie by now. I am just so thrilled for you all!

Love,
Cindy

erica andrews said...

I was thinking the Amazing Race as well. Rick and I were up this morning checking out the blog. We are so excited. I can't wait to see pictures. I bet you are hugging her as I speak!

See you soon!
Erica